As a 20-something-year-old with no children, I could potentially bypass the whole candy thing that happens at Halloween. I could just refrain from buying an assorted bag of the funnest-sized candy bars ever imagined. I could walk right past the bowl of candy corn without so much as a reach. I could even opt for pretzels instead of peanut butter cups at the party. But where's the fun in that? It's Halloween. Time to get crazy. Time to put candy in more candy. Which is essentially all that bark is. Candy with more candy in it. Hey-o.
I whipped up this batch of bark for my next work meeting (they're always potluck style). I'm praying it gets devoured entirely so I don't have to have it in my home (& then in my belly). This is a pretty straight forward recipe that brings together all the magic of a mixed candy bowl with a hint of saltiness.
- 2 cups milk chocolate (I used Hershey's)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Candy corn & M&Ms (festively colored, of course)
- Cover a large cookie sheet in wax paper. Tape the waxed paper in place so it won't slide around when you're smoothing out your chocolate.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler (my interpretation of a double boiler was a glass measuring cup in a pot of water on medium heat). Add the chocolate slowly, & stir regularly.
- When the chocolate is completely melted, sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, & stir thoroughly.
- Pour melted chocolate on cookie sheet, spreading evenly with a rubber spatula.
- Sprinkle remaining salt over chocolate.
- Wait a few minutes for the chocolate to slightly solidify, then press in candy corn & M&Ms.
- Place cookie sheet in freezer until chocolate is solid, then break into pieces. Store bark in refrigerator.
Salty, & sweeeeet! It's like a warm-up round for Friday's impending diabetic coma.
Related // More candy corn!