With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, it's time to start planning. The menu is complete (as seen above) - now it's just a matter of execution. I'm about to go make my grocery list right now before the store runs out of potatoes.
This year's menu is fairly tame & closely follows the typical American holiday meal plan. This has not always been true in my family's past. Every once in a while my mom would want to mix things up & we'd have themed Thanksgivings. One year we tried to put chocolate in every single dish! The dessert dishes were obviously no obstacle, but I distinctly remember a weird chocolate chili soup making the cut. It was fun, but there are just some vegetables that do not pair well with cocoa. There was another year where we tried to put cranberries in everything, even raw ones (which, lesson learned, is not a good idea. Raw cranberries are super tart). Nowadays Thanksgiving is more potluck-style, so we've been keeping things traditional.
This week's links are food-based in case you're still finishing out your menu plan. Also might I add that it is excruciating trying to find tasty recipes on an empty stomach. Would not recommend.
- Potato & Green Garlic Quiche // Vegetarian & gluten-free for those who want to pass on the bird.
- Brie Mashed Potatoes // True story - this recipe is the bomb. It's graced our table for many a past holiday.
- Mini Pumpkin Pies // It's like a pie cupcake! I'm baking a cheesecake version of this recipe.
- Pecan Cheesecake Pie // Why can't we just celebrate Thanksforservingnothingbutpiegiving?
- Seitan Roast // Do you guys like seitan? I've never ventured into that cooking realm. Mostly because I'm horrible in the kitchen, but also because my brother makes a mean wheat gluten roast. I leave that part of the vegetarian holiday feast to him.
- Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte // A lot of recipes out there for versions of this Starbucks delicacy seem super complicated. This seems like one I could make while in my post-Thanksgiving food coma.
- 24 Perfect Thanksgiving Recipes for Two // Ideal for your little family.
Related // The holidays are all about PIE.