This project has been a long time coming. The couch in our living room has been itching for a pop of pattern, color - something. The couch came with matching pillows, which was just all together too much gray. The cheap & easy solution to drowning in a wash of neutral was envelope pillow cases. Emphasis on easy.
This is totally a beginner-friendly project! You only need a couple of things to make this pillow case:
- One pillow form
- One square of fabric (measuring the length & width of your pillow form)
- Two rectangles of fabric (measuring the length of your pillow form, & half the width plus 3 inches. For example, my pillow form was 22" x 22", so my rectangles measured 22" x 14")
- Sewing machine, notions, & matching thread
Hem each of the long sides of the rectangular pieces of fabric.
Pin the pieces of fabric together as follows:
- Square, right-side up
- Rectangle, right-side down, raw edge on bottom
- Rectangle, right-side down, raw edge on top
Pin the pieces in place, & sew a seam along all four sides. Turn right-side out, & insert pillow form. Done!
I love the ease of being able to take these pillowcases off & wash them. The furry roommates don't exactly clean up after themselves.