It's 4th of July weekend! Barbecues, beers, & booming noises throughout the night that will surely upset pets of all shapes & sizes. My family never went all out with actual fireworks on 4OJ. Instead, my dad would always buy us kids some black snakes & pop-its (at least I think I'm recalling the names properly). Black snakes are those weird pellets that you light & then wait forever for something to happen & then BOOM they start growing all weird. Sort of anti-climactic, but still fascinating as a kid. Pop-its are just plain devious - they're those teeny packets the size of your fingernail that make a "pop" sound when you throw them. Alternatively you can snap them in your fingers next to your SISTER'S EAR DAVE I'M LOOKING AT YOU. Either way those were my favorites. That & sparklers. I've got good memories of waiting until dark & lighting sparklers one by one as fireflies danced through the grass. Then after the sparklers burned out, we would dunk them in a cup of water & they would make that great sizzling sound. The smell that sparklers make always takes me right back to summers as a kid.
In current news, it's a three day weekend (yay!), pluots are in season (my favorite fruit), & coffee exists which is a blessing because I have been dragging this whole week. #blessup.
- Favorite DIY of the week: These LED mason jar lanterns (two bonus tutorials in this link too!)
- This one too - how to make a table!
- This dog in menswear is KILLING ME
- This new trend of temporary hair tattoos is crazy
- These adorable paramedics who got engaged at Pride
- This overdue decision that Miss Teen USA made (finally)
- This beautifully inky bedroom has me questioning my love of white walls
P.S. Don't forget to download an Independence Day iPhone wallpaper!