I will be the first to say that I love winter. I love the snow, I love the cold. I thrive in it. I embrace it wholeheartedly. HOWEVER. It's now March and still freezing outside, and I'll admit - I'm getting a bit antsy for spring. Just a bit. Which might be the reason behind my current desire to absolutely fill our apartment with plants. I want them all, in my home, pronto. While I may not be great at interior design, even I know that plants liven a space up in a snap.
I'm still working on getting all the spider plants off the ground and away from the cat (see part one of my plant-hanging adventures for the reason why). There's at least one more that I need to move, plus the first plant (Grant) is sprouting off-shoots already. Thinking of putting a sign on the door that just says "Spider House." Here's a different way I made a DIY hanging planter.
What I used to hang my plant this time around was:
- A plastic planter (this time I bought a self-watering one because I'm a genius)
- Clothesline rope (found at my local hardware store)
- A drill
- A drill bit that's slightly larger in diameter than the rope
Around the top lip of the plastic planter, I drilled four holes. If the planter were a clock, I drilled at 3, 6, 9, and 12 o'clock (basically all equidistant from each other). In order to create a clean, smooth hole, I never switched my drill in reverse. I drilled through the plastic, and kept the drill rotation the same as I pulled the drill bit back up and out of the plastic. This cleans up the drill hole as you remove the bit.
I cut two equal pieces of clothesline rope. Each piece was twice as long as I needed space to hang from hook to planter, plus the length it would take to go around the planter. Next, I fed one of the ropes through the back of one hole, down around the bottom of the planter, and through the front of the hole on the opposite side.
I repeated the same process for the second rope, but on my way around the bottom I criss-crossed the ropes, going over-and-under the first rope with the second.
Finally I gathered the ends of both ropes together, tied a knot about 2.5 feet up, and then tied a second knot about 5 inches above that.
I had to use a hot mess of Command hooks to hold this sucker up. Normally I'd just use a hook screw, but since this is a rental, I didn't want to damage the shelving that was here when we moved in.
As you can see this little guy is still a baby. I'm hoping it'll grow into the space I've given it.
P.S. Learn how to make the painted terra cotta pots seen in my kitchen window.